För oss som samlar på Mackmyra


Svensk Ek

2015-09-01 by Thomas Øhrbom (Whisky Saga)

Mackmyra Svensk Ek, NAS, 46,1 %

The product Mackmyra Svensk Ek (Swedish Oak) is surrounded with a bit of controversy. This is in fact a re-launch of the previous product Mackmyra Första Utgåvan (The First Edition), although the composition of the whisky has also been slighty adjusted (so not simply a name change). The controversy stems from the name ‘Swedish Oak’, as only a small portion of Swedish Oak has been used in the maturation. Since Swedish oak casks are a lot more expensive, and exclusive, than American oak bourbon barrels, and there is little use of Swedish oak in this case, the protesters feel the name is misleading. The claim is that the name will mislead consumers to believe 100 % Swedish oak has been used, and that this is in fact a more exclusive product than it really is. 10 % of the casks used to mature this whisky has been Swedish Oak (30 liter fresh oak casks), the remaining 90 % of casks used have been bourbon casks of various sizes (full barrels, quarter casks, and 30 liter casks). Mackmyra state that a total of 5,4 % of the whisky used to compose the Mackmyra Svensk Ek has been matured in Swedish Oak casks. The age of the whisky used to compose the Mackmyra Svensk Ek is in the range of four to seven years old. The Mackmyra Svensk Ek is available to buy in Sweden at SEK 499 (item number 40901). It is not available in Norway.

Nose: (22/25):  Fresh, fruity and a bit earthy. Vanilla, apples, pears, licorice, honey, nuts, pepper, menthol and light herbal or grassy notes.

Taste: (21/25): Oaky, sugary, fizzy and spicy. There’s a clear cereal-like note to it, and the mouthfeel is medium rich.

Finish: (20/25): More spicy now, with pepper and a pinch of chili. Fizzy still. Ginger, camphor (old-style hard candy), menthol and a bit of Tiger Balm. Medium long and warm finish.

Balance: (21/25): Well-balanced, with lots of fresh oakiness. The Swedish fresh oak does seem to have had an influence on the end product.

Score: (84/100)

Länk till originalrecension på whiskysaga.com

Copyright @ All Rights Reserved